Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Fears: Allayed or Increased?

"So, I am left to give you some advice that sounds reasonable, though is totally made up. First, it will be useful for you to bring your undergraduate statistics text with you when you arrive in the Fall. It is often times still warm here in September, thus these textbooks can be used to prop open windows or doors to promote good ventilation. Additionally, I think it is useful to brush up on some basic concepts and vocabulary, such as measures of central tendency, variability and relationship (eg correlations). In addition, it is helpful to re-familiarize yourself with the concepts of hypothesis testing, probability and type 1 error. While we will review many of these concepts, the review will be short and chaotic so it will behoove you to take some it on yourself."

This quote is taken from the introductory letter addressed to all incoming grad students preparing to take the Statistics class. The first 2 paragraphs before this were quite humorous and relaxing as was a bit of this blurb...In actuality my professor sounds like a cool dude who has a sense of humour - my guard will not be lowered until after the first week!

btw: I did buy the extra Stats text that was suggested by my mentor AND I'm pecking along with my review but I'm still waiting on ...



the proverbial light to go on, signifying that I actually understand this topic of variability! Any math or statistics gurus out there? I can use some help making sense of this stuff.

Oh! The first installment of my scholarship was paid so my balance is lower...makes me breathe a little easier.

smooches!

No comments:

Post a Comment