Tuesday, August 4, 2009

been M.I.A.




I took off for two days and visited the beautiful island of Eleuthera, Bahamas. the first day I spent with the family where we all (6 adults; 4 teens; 2 children & 2 babies ) were huddled in a 2 bd/1bth house. yes I said 2 bedroom house and think cottage more than house. In retrospect, I really wish I took pics of the sleeping arrangements because we actually had a mattress laid out in the kitchen on one night!! The house reminded me of stories/movies I've heard about showing the plight of immigrants in a new country.


All-in-all, it was seriously FUN! I think each of us appreciated the freedom and quietness of the settlement in our own way. My grandmother, aunt and mom found solace on an old wooden bench under a massive tree. The teens and kids (except babies) literally lived on the beach and are now about 3 shades darker...and I, well I enjoyed a little of everything.

Eleuthera, is literally a 15 min flight from Nassau and is my 2nd home. My mom and her siblings were all born and raised there (early years) in the small settlement of Hatchet Bay. I hope to live there one day...before retirement. In fact, my dream to start a residential treatment facility for emotionally distressed adolescent girls will be housed on this island. Its quiet, gorgeous and close enough to Nassau and S Florida for me to get the 'city' life when necessary! I visit at least once per year- usually for work related stuff but from time to time, DH and I get there for small weekend getaways.

Back to this trip: I love bonding with my cousins...especially when they are younger and I'm still 'fun'. By the time they get to the tweens (9-12) - I'm no longer interesting and of course the teen years are worse because I'm simply unrelate-able (if that's a word). So, the highlight of the family times was my playing with my 17- and 7- month male cousins. here I am 'bonding' with the elder of the 2 babies present. He is an active, curious and sharp little onewho developed a certain fascination with my camera ;)





smooches!

No comments:

Post a Comment