Thursday, October 22, 2009

I am ready for....

....winter!

freshly braided

I've done my clothes/shoe shopping and am pretty ready for the snow, ice and wind! Can't say I'm looking forward to either of those three elements but it comes with the territory so no need to grumble, mumble or complain!
.
Now my 'baby' i.e. my hair also needed to get ready for her first winter in this chemical-free state. When I completed my Undergrad in Minnesota from 2000-2002, I was relaxed and really didn't give two-hoots about my hair. My hair was healthy even though I did whatever I felt to it without rhyme or reason. Now, I'm older, wiser (so I'd like to think) and definitely want to take a more protective approach to my hair since I know the cold can sometimes be a challenge. Since starting this natural routine, I've been conscientious about moisturizers and using them regularly on my hair and of course that's even more important in the dry and cold temperatures.
.
With wool, fleece and other materials that make up hats, scarves and the insides of hoods for warmth, it's going to be interesting how I keep these kinks all moisturized. I opted to start this winter journey with kinky twists as pictured above. I've had them in before and had an overall 'ok' experience with them. I don't get too excited cause there are some down sides--more annoying aspects of having them in and #1 on that list is I can't wash my hair as often. My hair has already started fuzzing through the braids and its only been one week and no water has even touched my hair yet...the more fuzzier, the more 'older' the braids look and that's not always necessarily cute. Not washing my hair as often also means tolerating an itchy scalp and that's one of my biggest pet peeves...
.
This particular experience has started crappy because my sides were put in tighter than usual (even though it didn't feel that way when they were getting braided) and up to Wednesday of this week, I still couldn't pull the braids in certain directions without wincing in pain. Furthermore, I've got the little bumps around my hairline. NOT CUTE. I was THIS close to taking them out but I'm gonna hold out a bit. I paid $35 + cost of hair to get this style. Now that isn't anything to 'break the bank' but still enough to motivate me to keep this style until Thanksgiving- when I return home for a wedding. I had actually planned to just get the sides retouched for the wedding and keep the braids until December but our relationship hasn't gotten off to a good start so I'm not too sure about that original plan.

Here I am with them styled...


I'm all ready with Oyin's Greg Juice as a water-based moisturizer and my beloved Hairveda's Whipped Gelly moisturizer. I've got other stuff in the arsenal although not sure if and how those will be included. I've got to get me a color applicator bottle quickly! When I have braids, I usually use those bottles to get the water/conditioner to my scalp for cleansing purposes and that kinda helps to 'keep' the braids because I don't have to actually put water on the entire head of hair.

I'm gonna play around with styles in another couple days once the tightness wears off and I'll have more pics to show!
smooches!

No comments:

Post a Comment