Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Who is helping you fight-Part 2

During a sermon and subsequent personal study of Exodus 17, I got somewhat of a template for how to approach one of my business ventures, particularly as it relates to the core team. Part one to this can be found here.


The second 'lesson' has to do with planning for the future life of the business or organization. In the business world, it is called succession management. Now I speak about cautiously because I have no formal training in business management (or other related areas) but I gleaned this lesson from the life of Joshua. In Exodus 17, we see Aaron and Hur, holding up Moses arms while the Israelite battle against the Amelikes raged on. The man on the ground is Joshua.


Joshua was very young when we first saw him but he was by Moses side also from the beginning. He was mostly in the background but seemed to have an understanding of his role and what was required of him through the different "seasons". Exodus 17 was his first front line mission and a big mission it was but even after this, he was faithful to serving Moses. He was pretty much what we would call a personal assistant. My favorite scene of the young Joshua, leader-in-training, was in Exodus 33:11:
"Inside the Tent of Meeting, The LORD would speak to Moses face to face, as one speaks to a friend. Afterward Moses would return to the camp, but the young man who assisted him, Joshua son of Nun, would remain behind in the Tent of Meeting."

The first time I did a Bible study on this a couple years ago, I was 'wow-ed' by this particular verse. There is something to be said about Joshua. He was a man who knew and hungered for God's presence. Because of this, he fully caught the vision. And this is the type of person that I'm thinking everyone should have (or in search of), from the very beginning. It may be awhile before you find your Joshua and for a variety of reasons, that is okay but at the same time, I can't help but think there should be some length of time that the person works with the company/organization and can be groomed before he or she can take the lead.

For me personally, Mercy House is my baby but I have no intentions of this being my end-all. I have a number of other smaller projects that I plan to also  lead and being the visionary that I am, I will continue to dream! Long story short, I need a Joshua and I am praying that my Joshua comes sooner than later. Because of the size of the project, it would be nice to have a "personal assistant" that can be on the ground for me, who I can trust to keep things running in the home while I deal with everything else. I guess this position is more than personal assistant, more of Program Director but the challenge of filling this position is to find someone who captures the vision, who is not power-hungry, who is teachable, someone who knows and accepts their roles and their "training ground".  

My eyes are wide open as I wait expectantly for the revelation of these three key persons: Aaron, Hur and Joshua and what each of their roles will be with the development and running of The Mercy House Bahamas!

I hope my Biblical extrapolations are helpful for you in your own mission, organization or business. Feel free to share any of yours in the comment section(s) of these posts.

Grace, peace and love,
Gia

No comments:

Post a Comment