Saturday, July 7, 2012

Dreaming in color

I've never considered myself a true dreamer/visionary until just recently. Even now, the idea of a dreamer still seems bigger than me, but the events of the past couple months provide evidence that maybe I have underestimated myself.


A little of this "dreaming" began about 10 years ago, with my dream of The Mercy House Bahamas (MH)...but if I am honest, I think this season of dreaming really took life on April 8th, 2012. My Pastor challenged us with his sermon, "Dream, ask and live!". Here are a couple of memorable quotes from that sermon that I recorded:


"When we dream, we are just parternering with God..."
"Heavens storehouse is waiting to be emptied. Every promise that God made is waiting in the storehouse."
"God's vision for us, is total freedom!"



There was much more to that sermon that resonated with me...particularly about the second step, of asking God (after you have dreamed), but it is too much to put here. What was interesting was that I initially felt the aspect of the sermon on dreaming (or not dreaming) was not relevant to me. You know, I had dreams and I was actively pursuing them (PhD, Mercy House)...I wasn't just sitting there all forlorn or defeated. But, once again, with my heart and mouth, I said "Amen" and came into agreement with the declaration that we would be a community of dreamers...that we would open our eyes and ears to hear and see what God is showing us. This inevitably awoken something in me. 

I'm blessed to be surrounded by a number of very wise and ambitious women, visionaries in their own way. One day, I remember mumbling (complaining) to one of these women about WHEN....the conversation went as such:

Me: “when is my dream, Mercy House going to really take form and become a reality? When...ugh! how much longer do I wait- I've been carrying this vision for 10 years now! I have no money to do anything…I am ready to just get this started! I hate feeling stuck”  

Her response to me: “Slow down grasshopper.”

And I did. I (re)surrendered MH to God and recognized that His timing is perfect…and that was that.

Never  being one to sit still, earlier this year, I began focusing on some more immediate projects that I could develop, build and execute and somewhere in that process, I asked God to dream again. I asked for new visions and ideas. While the initial request was actually before the above referenced instance of grumbling, I'm not sure when the actual fulfillment of the request began to happen, but all I know is that I have been on a roll. Like seriously on a roll. 


This is how it goes: I ask God, I go sleep...or go about my business and bang! there is another one, some new idea, or reformulation or fine-tuning of an existing idea.  Sometimes I do not even consciously "ask". It's like I'm looking at life through new eyes (the answer to another prayer)...and so I see opportunities now in areas that I never even considered going into.

This makes me quite excited because I never thought that MH was going to be my end-all...sure it is going to be a major accomplishment, it will impact many and hopefully revolutionize the way we approach youth care in the Bahamas but I just knew, that was not IT.

With my most recent “dream”, I’ve come to realize this one was given as a direct answer to a MH related prayer. I have been asking for income and/or finances that can go directly to the building and establishment of Mercy House. Learning my lesson, and now praying with a new found sense of expectancy, my eyes are open and searching for that someone or some people who are going to be donators, (I need about $½ million), to get it started. Not withstanding this faith, it is still ‘my baby’, and I want to financially sow into my own business, and if possible, I would like to significantly sow into it, you know, like not just $1,000 although being a full time student that is a SIGNIFICANT offering for me ;-). In any event, I can’t share the newest idea just yet…it is still too hot off the press but look out for more about this new adventure in blog updates to come! I can say, it is fun, it is fresh, and it is still connected with my purpose (facilitating healthy development of young ladies).

So now, I open the invitation, please join me and let your imagination soar…DREAM! Think of dreaming like brainstorming, you are not censoring the ideas, giving yourself reality checks, looking at limitations…just imagine what could be.  One of the seemingly favorite questions of my friend (referenced earlier-click hyperlink to learn more about her and what she can offer as a Path Coach), is "what would you do if you had no limits?"...dreaming answers this question. The very cool thing about dreaming is that it usually creates solutions for some of the gaps and problems in the community within which you are embedded! Dreaming is the first step toward leaving your mark in this world! I can’t wait to hear of some of those big dreams!

Grace, peace and love,
Gia

5 comments:

  1. Gia, I am so excited by all that you have dreamed about. Know that as you embrace the vision of what you saw and accepted to pursue, more dreams (steps 10, 11,12) emerge. Thank you for sharing your new beginnings with us, it's an honor to know about your "conception" before others. (you tend to usually refer to MH as your baby lol) Encouraged by you, supporting you, Kaylus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kay and thank God for you in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that sermon Gia. During those days, asking seemed to be a theme in the atmosphere, i heard it so often. Just today I remembered thinking how much I desire to seeing my dreams manifest and not just stay in an abstract realm. Like how you shared concerning MH, but even now I’m reminded of this woman who spoke divinely about God's plan, and that he knows I’m anxious about it unfolding but to be patient. It was simple but spoke volumes because my excitement led my heart into haste this verse helped me that says “It is not good to have ZEAL without KNOWLEDGE nor be HASTY and MISS the way". Thankfully, I am relating to the outpouring of ideas you described above but right now I only have some of the knowledge believing that little by little he reveals more and more. And how really humbling the process is because without God the great dreams he dream over us will not come to pass. He is SO GREAT, and his very dreams for us lead to astonishment and pure adoration. Habakkuk 2:2, "And the LORD answered me: “Write the vision; make it plain on tablets, so he may run who reads it." Keep dreaming Gia, he makes everything beautiful in its time. And thanks for the encouragement it means alot coming from a visionary.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing Janice. You are so right, His dreams for us are great and it is only through remaining connected that the 'greatness' of those dreams are fulfilled...ultimately it all boils down to glorifying Him. Ahhhh you got the "hold still a bit" word too huh? yes, quite humbling but still refreshing when we consider that God's timing and will is perfect. Glad to be an encouragement to you.

    ReplyDelete