Friday, July 20, 2012

Lessons from Ari



Meet my fur-baby Ari. He is a lovable, SUPER friendly, 2 year old Yorkie-Shih Tzu. As you can see, he is jet black and most times, taking a picture of him (and seeing more than a blob) is impossible. Another detail about Ari - he is spoilt! He is our child and the center of attention in our house. The house actually belongs to him...well it seems that way most days.

Anyway, just yesterday it dawned on me how much I can learn from the simple interactions with Ari and so as I do with most my lessons, I will share with you.

Today's lesson from Ari is about REST.

Ari sleeps wherever he chooses, sometimes the couch in the front, and sometimes on the floor on either side of the bed (usually mine). There are some nights, where he fights to sleep with us at the foot of the bed. In an  effort to provide boundaries, we typically do not allow this...but of course, every so often he gets away with it. This usually occurs in the middle of the night/early morning when we are near comatose and he comes in to cuddle at our feet. Regardless of where he sleeps, 8 out of 10 mornings, once he realizes we are awake, he bounds up in the bed, tail wagging and almost a smile, he often times tries to give us slobbery kisses. After settling, he would just curl up somewhere he could squeeze, while I just lay in bed, either trying to wake up (or catch couple extra mins sleep), pray/have quiet time or read my Bible/devotions.

Because he is settled and curled up so cute, I usually can't help but to just rub his head or tummy and I am amazed each time at the level of relaxation he experiences when I do this. He puts himself COMPLETELY VULNERABLE and just lays there. Sometimes he is staring at me...and clearly because he does not have the cognitive capacity, I know he is just enjoying the attention and the rub and there are no thoughts.

This most recent occasion, it hit me. God wants me to be like Ari. I should excitedly bound into His arms and just rest in Him. Clear my mind and just enjoy as the Holy Spirit ministers and refreshes me. I can be completely vulnerable because He will not hurt me or take advantage of me. I can be free and just REST.

I'm thinking I will try to be a happy-go-lucky trusting daughter who is re-energized by laying in the lap of her Father and gazing into the beauty of His face.

One of my favorite...rest-in-God songs.


Grace peace and love,
Gia

2 comments:

  1. What confirmation! Gods word to me after a roller coaster of emotions and confusion about the adverse situation that seemed to hinder me was - "relax, receive from Me, don't be concerned with getting, rest in Me, knowing that all that you need I have set aside just for you, believe it and expect it. RELAX and RECEIVE. Thank you for sharing and give Ari a tummy rub for being Gods instrument. So be it in God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmmm what an awesome word from your Father! "knowing that all that you need I have set aside just for you"--- I love it!

    ReplyDelete