Thursday, July 12, 2012

Cultivating a grateful spirit

A couple days ago, I had another small 'life lesson'...As I mentioned previously, my life goal is to reside in a place where I am not afraid, worried or the least bit concerned about sharing what I have with others because I am cognizant of who I am (child of the King) and ALL I have access to. In other words, there is no need for stingyness.

Now this may sound very noble, but until recently, I lived in almost the opposite manner. My attitude was that I needed to be cautious with what I had (and how I shared it out), because I had to store up for a "dry day". You know, that day in the foreseen future when I may find myself with nothing...and at this point, when I have nothing (or run out) I can dig in my closet/pocket/refrigerator and pull out the life-line! Without getting too "holier-than-thou", this kind of thinking is quite Anti-Christian considering I am professing to serve the God of the Universe. The Creator, the One who owns all and is above all. After all, He is the One who "owns the cattle on a thousand hills" (commonly quoted scripture -Psalm 50:10).

Anyway, to the story: I am at work (summer job that I am grateful for) and it is lunch time. I only prepared sufficient lunch for one person (me) and the typical Gia does not share food. I just don't. I'm always hungry and when I get full, I feel the need to save what I don't eat...for that next moment of hunger. Anyhoo, without even being asked (or thinking twice), I offer my plate to a friend for her to share my meal. I knew that after sharing, I was probably going to still be hungry but it just wasn't that big of a deal. [Side note: Thank God for growth in seemingly small areas.] Anyway, less than 1/2 hour after eating my share of the food, I get a call to come for food. And not just any food...some good good yummy Bahamian food. As I returned to my desk with the food in my hand, I could only smile to myself and say "Thank You Lord". The story doesn't stop there, an hour later, I get another call...and I am invited to join in a mini-feast with dessert!

On this Thankful Thursday, I am grateful for the abundance of food...I have food in my fridge and cupboards and  beyond that, I have access to places (restaurants, grocery store, semi-fertile land) that I can obtain nourishing food from. I also commit to continue to cultivate an attitude of gratefulness and maintain an open hand so that for every blessing I receive, I freely give!
I am definitely a work in progress in so many areas, but it feels good when I get it "right"...cause I know when I do, I make God smile and that makes me giddy on the inside. :-)

Grace peace and love,
Gia

No comments:

Post a Comment