Saturday, June 30, 2012

Who is helping you fight?

Although I've got another 2 years before I walk across the stage (graduation), my mind is already in create-work-opportunities mode.  Part of this is just my natural go-getter attitude, the other part is because I really never stopped "working" since I left to come to school. In any event, the wheels in my head are constantly churning and I am open to new and innovative ways to use the skill set and giftings that I have been blessed with.


At church over the weekend past, we read from Exodus 17 and even after coming home, I found myself revisiting the scripture for further personal study. What I have come away with is a template of sorts for one of my 'big dreams': Mercy House Bahamas


For those that are not aware, my plan is to establish one of the first residential treatment facilities in The Bahamas. This is not a boot camp, it is not a juvenile detention center, it is a place where adolescent girls can go for intense one-to-one attention to work through issues and learn coping skills so they can be equipped to face the challenges of life. There is too much to tell but hopefully within the next two months, I should have it legally established so that I can fill in the many empty spaces on the website.


So what did I learn: Well I learned that I need to have at least two people who understand and support my vision. My Aaron and Hur, as we see them functioning as Moses' left- and right-hand men during the war (v. 10-12). These two individuals will be able to physically support the development and day-to-day running of the organization but also will be able to support it (and me) spiritually and emotionally. These individuals will most likely work full time, in some capacity for The Mercy House, but I am not going to narrow their role(s) at this time. While I think I have an idea of who my Aaron and Hur are, I am specifically praying for God to bring confirmation or redirect as necessary.  


While the Bible gives us way more detail about Aaron and his exploits (not all good), little is said about Hur. What we can deduce is that Moses trusted him. In two of the occasions Hur is mentioned, he is in "the inner circle"...you know, like a bestie...one of the 3 people on the mountain during the big war (Exodus 17) and then one of the two people left in charge of the Israelites when Moses goes up to commune with God (Exodus 24:14).


Aaron was not only a 'bestie' but he was Moses' brother (by blood). He requires a post all of his own but what is relevant to my lesson, is that he was with Moses from the beginning. Even after they were separated at birth, when Moses goes back to take his role as "deliverer", it was Aaron that we see by his side through most of the early events when Moses has to face Pharaoh and the Egyptian Army (Exodus 4). God invited Aaron up on more than one occasion to commune with Him and Moses on the holy mountain and Aaron was one of the High Priests.  What I can deduce, definitely a man that Moses trusted.


While some endeavors may be "smaller" in size, this does not negate the need for an Aaron and Hur. We are built for community and there is strength in numbers. Ecclesiastes 4: 9-12 states


"Two are better than one,
    because they have a good return for their labor:
10 If either of them falls down,
    one can help the other up.
But pity anyone who falls
    and has no one to help them up.
11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
    But how can one keep warm alone?
12 Though one may be overpowered,
    two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."



If you don't already have an Aaron and/or Hur identified for your "missions" (i.e. business, ministry, organization)...go ahead and begin praying about who those individual(s) are. You don't want to just pick "friends"; these people must understand the fullness of the vision and be able to commit to supporting it (and you).


Grace, peace, and love...
Gia


stay tuned for the rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment