Thursday, July 23, 2009

statistics

I mentioned that I 'met' my buddy who has already proven herself to be awesome. She gave me some great tips and answered questions that only a student could give insight too. Definitely helped to allay some fears. Of her suggestions, the best by far, was her advice to 'brush up' on my statistics. She mentioned taking a year off from school before beginning this program and despite the quick review the lecturer went through early in the semester, she still found herself struggling. I realized at that point, that her 'suggestion' would be a necessity for me. I've been out of school for 4.5 years....to add to that, my Masters program was counseling oriented and so we didn't have to take a separate stats class...we touched on the various statistical methods for compiling and assessing data in like 2 weeks in a basic research class. Prior to that, my last encounter with a formal stats course was in Spring 2001! yikes. To make matters even worse, that class was a CHALLENGE. Like the only class that had me grunting and complaining and having random bouts of crying/frustration fits kinda challenging... I completed the class with a respectable grade (really can't remember but it was either an A- or B+) but you have to understand that I worked my daggone butt off for that! I have never appreciated a grade so much in my life. ugh

I'm getting all flustered just thinking about that class, and that was undergrad. so needless to say, I am scared- like freaking out-possibly don't want to do this program -kinda scared. Anyhoo, I'm a fighter and if it kills me, I will get an A, no minuses will do. I have two mandatory semesters of statistics along with another research based class which will probably kick my butt however, I have to remain on top of my game in each of those classes. I'm a self-professed nerd and I graduated undergrad with 2nd highest honors, graduated with a perfect 4.0 GPA in my masters and I am NOT expecting anything less than a 3.9 GPA (hopefully I can do 4.0) from this doctoral program.

So from time to time, I'll have to vent as I commit to spending a minimum of 5 hrs per week for the next 5 weeks reviewing, relearning, preparing (whatever you want to call it) for this dreaded first year of Statistics!!!

smooches

No comments:

Post a Comment