Thursday, July 23, 2009

my fave 5

We don't have T-mobile services here but our cable/satellite are all primarily US programming (+ some Canadian stations + british news) and I remember watching the commercials a couple years ago [was it really that long ago?] and thinking how cool the idea of having unlimited access to 5 phone numbers...anyway this isn't a T-mobile commercial but as it relates to hair, I have 5 favorite things that I can't do without...

2 strand twists (without extensions)
My staple style now. Its perfect because it serves as a protective style because my ends are not all open and exposed to the elements and its easy to go. as my hair continues to grow, I can do more and more with my hair actually in the twists...eg I can wear pony's, updo's or with pins/hair clips create anything. here is an example of how they look freshly completed, you can see a more accurate length of my hair here (6 months after the cut)














and then the same style but after my hair drys and shrinkage kicks in (excuse how I look..)
















Hairveda's whipped gelly


:blissful sigh: I lurv this stuff. Literally stumbled over it with no recommendation from anyone or any blog but hairveda had a sale and this was what was being offered. I, being a frugal product junkie (PJ) that I am, jumped on this and tried it once, twice, thrice...and won't turn back.ever! [disclaimer: I have seriously only used it with my twists...I have yet to see how it works with overall definition or for laying down hair...its marketed as a gel substitute/moisturizer].



Oyin Handmade Juices'n'Berries
what can I say about my beloved spritzer/moisturizer/refresher...everything. This water-based, oil free product is marketed as a moisturizer and it is perfect for me! I've learned in my 7 short months in this natural world, that my hair does better with water-based moisturizers over heavier creams. for example, as wonderful as shea butter is and as thick as my hair is, it doesn't 'like' shea butter, especially not raw. when its mixed with other natural products, preferably whipped, I can tolerate it...however if its a pomade or butter...nope. side note: if your hair loves shea butter, Hairveda http://hairveda.com/cleansing.aspx has an awesome Whipped Clouds that's light but still uber moisturizing because of the shea butter and aloe vera components; but if you prefer the butters/pomades, then try Oyin Handmade's http://oyinhandmade.com/oyin/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=3 whipped pudding. I tried it but ended up passing on to my aunt because of its heaviness.

Giovanni Direct Leave-in Conditioner


I use this after every wash. The only exception to this, if I'm using another leave-in which I have been trying out..but that particular leave-in is thicker, takes longer to dry and doesn't do well with other products. I never have a problem with Giovanni Leave-in...its not watery like some, it has some hold (nothing to write home about) but its an all around reliable product. I have about 3 bottles of it! :)
this can be purchased at Target or online through a couple websites...



and finally....well honestly, picking a 5th one was difficult. I have a lot of great products, hairstyles, hair accessories. So I asked myself...if I didn't have access to what other thing-what would I proverbially "die" for?
headband
I don't ever hide the simple fact: my head is huge. and from since I cut my hair in January of this year, I have leaned on various styles of headbands and/or scarves...my husband feels they make my head look bigger, but in my delusioned mind, it somehow looks...smaller? I love them and I don't care who doesn't...I rocked the headband when I only had about 3 inches of hair on my head! was i laughed at- yes? did I care- no! LOL

So the one I chose as a part of my favorite 5 is the Goody ouchless classic elastic headband. now with a growing fro, this band helps to keep my twists away from my face in a 'style' and also is a quick fix for bad hair days. ;) simple but does the trick...everytime!













and that's me! my top 5 hair related items/styles.... remember, no two heads of hair are exactly alike so what works wonders for me, may be an 'ehhh' for you! take advantage of sales, freebies, sample sizes and trading with other people who may not like what they purchased.

btw: hairveda has a moisturizer sale on now, as i just learned visiting their sight. I haven't tried either of the two products advertised and honestly do not feel inclined to, at least not right now! I've got goals: vehicle, mac laptop and stationary bike. (and according to sweets, those are secondary to books and tuition deposits) ;)
smooches

2 comments:

  1. Gia! I am loving the site. Totally added it to my list of must read blogs. I am glad you did this post, as I was just asking you about the giovanni conditioner on BAB. I was using the spray leave in, and didn't have good results. The head bands, I have gone thru 4 or 5, as they strech out, and loose shape to quickly. There is a larger one that goody sells, they come in a pack of two, black and brown, that I found works way better for me. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Jen! I'll have to go looking for the larger headbands that you mentioned because you are correct, these definitely get out of shape quickly! thanks for stopping by and commenting! :)

    ReplyDelete