Monday, October 8, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving (Canada)

Well, it is Thanksgiving in Canada and of course yesterday the sermon in Church centered around being grateful.

Pastor Rick at WCF, gave us three hallmarks of living that we should incorporate into our daily living (based off 1 Chronicles 16:4):
1. remember the blessings
2. give thanks
3. to praise or celebrate

These seem simple enough and without question, I know incorporating them into my daily routine, particularly as a substitute for complaining will reap great benefits. However, in my quiet time this morning, I thought about how "easy" (or not) this would be to do during the "winter" experiences and seasons of our life. You know, when it seems that nothing in life is going right, we are suffering a huge loss, grieving the death of a loved one, when the cupboards are bare, when the prognosis is negative, when our loved ones are acting the fool...yea the list can go on and on.

The thing I realized about these three steps is that they are actually in order. If you do not remember the blessings of yesterday (or even the blessings of today), it will be difficult for you to give thanks....and without both of these steps, what do you celebrate?

Some days I wish I had an opportunity to engage in the Jewish culture. I'm not sure how it works now with modern Jews, but the Bible tells us that they shared their stories with their kids. I imagine them all sitting around the elder of the family and listening to how God delivered their ancestors on the many different occasions. With those kinds of rituals, it's almost impossible to forget the blessings.



Let's take a second (or two) to reflect on everything you have. Now thank God for His provision and then Praise Him!

Today I remember:

  • how much my parents sacrificed to get me a good education
  • how God financially provided for two parents (no college degree) and for the most part minimum-wage jobs to maintain a household of 6 children...there was never a day where there wasn't food, clothing, shelter. We even had vacations!
  • how God brought people in my life, in Minnesota, in West Palm and now...in Canada. People who have shared their lives, their houses/food/resources and their love to a [at first] stranger from the Bahamas.
  • how we (my roomie and I) were kept safe on a roadtrip when we ignorantly jeopardized our own safety (read story here)
  • how the supplies didn't run out and every child/family was blessed
The tears are streaming as I type and I want you to know, selecting these five experiences to remember was difficult because there has been so many times, where I have no doubt, it has been God's hand in my life, protecting me, providing for me and loving me. 

I'm going to need to save this, and of course add to it with all the other events, because I want to raise my future child(ren) on these stories. I want them to hear about how God is active and living today in their parents' lives, not only the awesome Bible stories.

Today I remember. I commit to remember, to be thankful and to celebrate because God has never once forgotten me. I feel it's only good manners that I graciously return the favor.

Grace peace and love,
Gia

No comments:

Post a Comment