Wednesday, October 3, 2012

What do you have to give?

This is the 4th installment in the post-Guyana series...my reflections.

I was commenting to Schantal that the project itself didn't become "real" until I saw those kids. Until I got a glimpse into their lives...until each name had a face.

One particular face was not very pleasant.  I'm not referring to the features that make her "beautiful" or "ugly", I'm talking about the seemingly angry way in which she interacted with everyone. Someone actually commented that she seemed ungrateful or rude. For a second (and I literally mean one second), I entertained thoughts about "not liking her" because of this rough exterior but I quickly shook it off and forced an even bigger smile than usual as I met with her and her mom.

It was then that I got the inside scoop.  Without going into the details, lets just say that this 14 year old, has more on her plate than the average kid. It was no wonder why she seemed so rough...hardened...mean. Additionally, because I showed myself friendly, I got a smile. It was somewhere during our interview, I can't remember what I told her but from the scowl, a real life genuine smile emerged and it rocked my world. The smile was fleeting but it was genuine and it was enough to keep the memory of this young lady ever before me as I continue to pray for her, her healing, her strength and the healing of their family.

For this teenager, it wasn't the school clothes, the school bags and supplies, not even the shoes or the food, that made her smile again (I told you, she had a perpetual angry face) but the other smile I witnessed was when I gave her a $2 headband (like the one pictured).


So essentially, my time, unconditional attention and care and the small gift seemingly made someone's day. Makes me wonder what else I can give to impact someone's life.

The next time I saw this young lady, she looked excited to see us. I think we all were shocked. Maybe it was our conversation, maybe the workshop, maybe the school supplies, maybe the headband...who knows what it was- but the end result is a softened heart. My prayer is that this young lady now feels less burdened, less neglected, a smidgen more hopeful and definitely loved.

Have you ever had one of those experiences? Where something you thought to be insignificant seemingly changed someone's demeanor or even their day or better yet..their life? please share in the comments section below!

Grace peace and love,
Gia

No comments:

Post a Comment