Wednesday, August 8, 2012

If this isn't love...

Yesterday morning, my husband and I had a conversation based on a post on Jeremy Statton's blog. I sent the post to him as an object lesson for him but it turned out to be a humbling moment for me. The discussion that ensued was "animated". Not quite an argument but definitely with enough passion and volume to be confused for one. During the discussion, my husband and I went back and forth about who was the actual "jerk" in the story. Was it Jeremy for expecting someone to move out of their comfortable space for another or was it the guy for not having compassion on a stranger and his very freaked out child.

The back and forth from this situation led us to the general idea of whether it is "Christian" to give up something for someone else (especially if this brings discomfort to the person who is giving up)? I couldn't provide a yes or no..in the sense that I would not judge a person as not being a Christian because they did not give up something for someone else. I went even further to talk about my own convictions: that I would be willing to sacrifice for someone else once I wasn't putting myself in jeopardy. You know, I'd switch seats cause that's not a big deal, what would sitting uncomfortably for a couple of hours do to me? I continued my monologue to indicate that maybe I would be less willing to give up something if my own well-being was threatned: psychologically or physically. I'm not a masochist, but I am compassionate (is what I was thinking). If I will admit, I was quite proud in my convictions.

His response (and I wish I could quote because it was so eloquently stated but in a nutshell):
if we (as Christians) were not suppose to live sacrificially through and through? Aren't we supposed to imitate God? and didn't He sacrifice? Wouldn't he give up something/anything even if it jeapordized his own health for us?

Me: blank stare

I honestly don't even know what I was thinking as I just sat there for the split second staring at him. I think I stuttered some lame response but eventually, I (less emphatically) agreed that yea, I guess we should be living sacrificially.

Shortly thereafter the conversation ended as I needed to get ready for work. However, the conversation with myself was not over. I felt so convicted.
What was I doing?
Was what I offered really loving my neighbor?
When had my "love" developed conditions? Was it always like this?

I repented of having conditions on my "love" and opened my heart again to LOVE. The real stuff as defined by Christ's ultimate act (John 3:16-17). As I continued to process the events of the morning, I knew I had to share this. Not because it's such a victory that I want to share but because it pointed out how easy it is for us (ME) to get prideful. It's interesting how I read that post, thoughtfully considered it and still walked away without truly getting the message for me. It took a situation where I had set out to prove a point, where the bigger point was proven to me.

Thoughts or comments? Leave them below!

Grace peace and love,
Gia

3 comments:

  1. Gia! You're such a big girl! Yay! It is not easy to admit an uncomfortable, unexpected new learning. I too experience something similar, well not entirely but I get where you were and blogged about it ...it is entitled "It's Not Always About You nor Me" http://appetizersforlife.blogspot.com/2012/05/its-not-always-about-you-nor-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Permission to comment again. I remember watching a NatGo documentary that featured a group trekking their way up the Himalayas. One of the men was so determined to reach the summit that a phone call to his pregnant expecting any day now wife did not convince him to turn around. They said goodbyes just in case it was their last and indeed it was their last. I was so angry at him for being so selfish ... could this fete really mean more to him than parenting a child. Is that really love .... It is said that Martin Luther King had a premonition about being assisinated, and felt that it would be the night that it actually happen. I read that he hugged his wife and 4 children as if it would be their last and indeed it was. He did not seek seclusion or stepped back from the cause. He died for what he believed ... tell me is this love, I think it is but not for what we usually attach it to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!!!!! thanks for sharing Kaylus! I've read the above-referenced blog post...indeed something to think about. I'm excited for how God is stretching me. It's uncomfortable but for a greater purpose.

    ReplyDelete