Friday, August 10, 2012

Persistence: Lesson from Ari



This was the sound I was awoken to...over and over and over at a little before 5 am.  This is Ari's way of saying "I need to potty". Of course he's learned to associate going outside with ringing the bell so every now and again, he rings the bell just to go outside and play. The thing is, if I (or my husband) don't move, he just continues to do this and it becomes more forceful. We sometimes wonder where he gets the strength from in the little body to bang on the bell with the force and fervor that he does.

 As I lay in bed just trying to ignore the sound and go back to sleep, I began thinking of this persistance.  I fell back asleep smiling at his stubbornness. I found there were two lessons to consider in this experience, the first of which is about our persistence.  I'm a firm believer in never giving up. In pressing forwarding or pushing until something happens. My very good friend has a book about this. You can see more about it here.  There are so many inspirational or motivational quotes about this that I'm sure I don't need to spend a lot of time convincing you.

Before I leave though, I thought we should revisit a Biblical story that provides clear support for the concept that we should continue praying, seeking, pursuing after the goal or outcome that you desire.

 Luke 18:2-8 [The Message] 
 The Story of the Persistent Widow 

  1-3Jesus told them a story showing that it was necessary for them to pray consistently and never quit. He said, "There was once a judge in some city who never gave God a thought and cared nothing for people. A widow in that city kept after him: 'My rights are being violated. Protect me!' 

4-5"He never gave her the time of day. But after this went on and on he said to himself, 'I care nothing what God thinks, even less what people think. But because this widow won't quit badgering me, I'd better do something and see that she gets justice—otherwise I'm going to end up beaten black-and-blue by her pounding.'" 

 6-8Then the Master said, "Do you hear what that judge, corrupt as he is, is saying? So what makes you think God won't step in and work justice for his chosen people, who continue to cry out for help? Won't he stick up for them? I assure you, he will. He will not drag his feet. But how much of that kind of persistent faith will the Son of Man find on the earth when he returns?"

Have you grown tired or weary? Are you about to give up...? DON'T. One of my favorite concepts is hope. I believe there is always hope, well as long as we are living, there are opportunities to pursue and achieve. So be encouraged, however, I suggest you also be wise. If the means you have been trying to get something isn't working, maybe it is time to reassess your strategy...or even your goal. If you are a Christian, how does your strategy or goal line up with God's plans and purpose for you? Even if you aren't a Christian, does the strategy make logical sense? Is your goal attainable?

 I would never suggest that you limit your thinking/vision/plans but sometimes (in fact most times), the super big out-of-this-world goal requires smaller goals to get you there.  Maybe you can't identify your goals and you have just been chasing the proverbial wind. Well, check out a previous blog post on goals and get to writing and strategizing. However, be reminded that whatever point you are at in your journey, DO NOT GIVE UP.

So on this Friday, the lesson from Ari is to continue ringing the bell until it is clear to whomever is the gate-keeper, that you have a need.

Grace peace and love,
Gia

oh! if you want to see more of Ari and his shenanigans...to really see his persistence, click on the video link above that says Ari & playpen (it should show up after you have watched the short clip). Just know that he did that over and over until he was able to get out.


2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I thought Ari is adorable! I truly believe that persistence is the key to answered prayer and to success in life. Being a recent graduate of The College of The Bahamas, It was not easy studying when everybody was asleep or waking up at 2 a.m to plan lessons to teach etc. But my persistence and the help of God gave me strength to stick with it and it led to me successfully attaining my Bachelor's Degree! If a little dog can see the value of persistence, well so can we!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pauline, you hit it right on the head, persistence toward a goal sometimes requires sacrifice but the end goal is a beautiful thing! Congrats again on your achievement and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete