Thursday, August 16, 2012

Timothy Project

I've failed you. I'm about 2 weeks from departure date and this is the first post about my uber exciting upcoming trip. I am going to Guyana with a team of individuals for the launching of the first cohort of the Timothy Education Project Guyana. This initiative is the baby of Schantal, my roommate. You can find out more about her here.



From the website:
"The Timothy Education Program provides a group of 25 students in a developing country with the resources and support needed to excel their studies. Each year, Timothiers in North America work diligently to gather supplies and funds to provide backpacks and supplies, uniforms and shoes, and contingency fees needed for them to attend school. Additionally, the students receive a support system featuring academic, career and emotional mentorship, and financial support to steer them along a successful path.

Why all of this? We believe that a successful student is made by a community- a group of individuals that work together to ensure that s/he excels day after day, week after week, month after month, until graduation day."

When I heard about it, it called to me. Like seriously, I felt it had my name written all over it. Partly because the larger vision is so in sync with my goals for Mercy House but also because I love traveling, have always wanted to do some type of short-term missions work and this is a an opportunity to support a friend. Essentially, I get to put my money, time and energy where my heart and prayers are at. How super cool right?

I finally purchased both legs of the trip Nassau-->Guyana and Guyana-->Canada and it was a sacrifice. I opted to not go on a girls trip (cruise)later this year to use the funds for this and there are no regrets. I only wish that I'm was employed full time so that I could have financially supported the kids and/or the project in a more substantial way. I guess I won't be a student forever so this is another missions project that I can look forward to supporting!

Yea, so I leave Nassau to fly to Georgetown, Guyana on the 28th. My role is of "helper" and because of my expertise, I get to really help. :D I'll conduct/lead most of the intake assessment interviews with the kids and their families and I'll also [hopefully] have an opportunity to conduct one or two group sessions with the kids. woot woot. It will be a jammed packed, emotionally charged, tiring trip; I know this. But I'm up for the challenge. Guyana is poor. These kids [families] are probably even poorer. But we've got the Good News. We are going as servants to provide support and HOPE. These kids have a future and it our intent to ensure that they have as many of the physical, emotional, academic and most importantly, spiritual resources to walk confidently toward that future!

Unless you are in Canada, where the account is, I don't think there is much that can be done monetarily (outside of wiring funds) but we accept prayers. I'd also be more than willing to leave a couple items of my own at home so that I can carry some clothing, shoes or school stuff for the kids. All of the volunteers are full time students (well except Schantal who just started a job on Monday- praise God) so we also are in need of a dollar here and there for the costs that may be incurred while on the trip. I'm praying that my job here gets my pay sorted out, but if it doesn't come in time, I know that God will provide....exceedingly and abundantly.

I'll maybe see if I can Schantal to write a guest post for next Thursday (if she can find the time) but if not, I'll be back with more about the Timothy Project and the countdown.

Grace peace and love,
Gia

edited on 8/23/12:
Schantal says: We do accept donations online. And if anyone in the bahamas wants to donate, we really need "non-school" shoes for the kids...We just learned that some of them don't even have that. 

2 comments:

  1. Gia... you sound like a real kid here... looking forward to going with you on this trip and being a blessing...
    Correction...we do accept donations online... lolol. And also if anyone at your end wants to donate, we really need 'non-school' shoes for the kids... It was brought to my attention that some of them don't even have that. Gia you should have sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay. Will do. I'll see what I can do for the non school shoes!

    ReplyDelete