Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Rejected

As I spoke to my bestie one morning, she was relaying a story to me and the part that stuck out to me was a statement made...someone had commented that a particular church had a bunch of rejects and losers. The parent who made the statement was concerned about their child being in that atmosphere.


Now normally, I think I would have kinda agreed. You know after all, if an eagle is raised with chickens, it will be raised to NOT fly, even though its in the eagle's nature to not just fly but to soar. BUT rather than this thought, this scripture came to mind.

"The stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner." -Psalm 118:22

And that began my musings for yesterday morning.

Our role model (if you are a Christian) is Jesus and He was the ultimate example of rejection (Isaiah 53:3). The "who's who" of that day literally called Him everything EXCEPT the son of God. It was even said that his authority was from the prince of demons (Matthew 9:34;12:22-25). And despite his humble beginnings, despite the fact that His own people rejected Him, despite the fact, that He really wasn't "much" as it relates to socio-economic status, the fact remains that this man was a revolutionary. Some 2000+ years later, his followers are still the largest group of all religious and/or civic groups. This rejected one, became the foundation, the head stone, by which Christianity was built.

If that revelation wasn't enough to keep me thinking, I then read this scripture in prayer later that evening:

"Behold! God is mighty, and yet despises no one nor regards anything as trivial; He is mighty in power of understanding and heart." - Job 36:5


So what's my point: There is a difference between those who are unmotivated, under-achieving, and settling for less than their potential (eagles with a chicken mentality) from those who may be in a particular position (e.g. temporarily unemployed, victim of abuse, divorced) and may not be of a "good" status by society's standards.  Both groups of people could be considered losers, and if we aren't careful, its easy to cast judgment, scorn, or fully reject them..

Does this mean that we have license to reject one while providing a pass for the other? NO! The MIGHTY God doesn't despise them, so why should we? I guess in the end, this post is a call to compassion, very similar to what I talked about last summer (see here).  A second or even third look at those who are different would go a long way for us as we manoeuvre through life and attempt to live it intentionally, purposefully, and with an impact beyond the grave. 

Grace, peace and love,
Gia

Note: I do apologize for the late entry and the missing entries- life is super hectic now and in prioritizing, blogging fell to the bottom of the list. Thanks for your patience. :)

2 comments:

  1. Great points! This reminds me of my pastor saying that the church is a hospital for everyone to be fixed. Nobody entering is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that..."a hospital for everyone to be fixed". I think sometimes its easy to forget that we all have "stuff" that isn't perfect. Thanks for stopping by and sharing.

      Delete