Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Quality Decisions for 2014

Last day of 2013.....woah nelly!

Inspired by my good friend's newletter (find it here), I decided as I prepare for 2014, to identify quality decisions (as Path Coach Kaylus calls them) to help guide me toward purposeful living.



The beauty of 2014 is that it will also culminate my time working on the PhD, so it will launch Giavana Jones, PhD. woooot wooot. Has a ring to it huh? In 2014, I also return to my role as School Psychologist with the Ministry of Education, Bahamas as my study leave officially ends. womp womp. So undoubtedly, there is a lot for me to think about, process, prepare for, etc. There is also a lot to be anxious about but as I've shared, I'm choosing to NOT worry (see here, here and here for posts on this).

To understand quality decisions, you must read the newsletter, but in a nutshell, Kaylus said that:

"Knowing what you don't want can lead to having what you want"

The idea here is its usually easier to identify what we don't want to do...and from this, we make decisions which lead to our ideal. 

I'll share one of my quality decisions as I challenge you to identify yours!

A couple weeks ago, as I thought about next year and all that unfolds, I realized that I can't see myself going back to a 9-5/5 days a week, i.e. the traditional 40 hr per week position. I am thriving off of the ability to come in late, leave early, not come in at all and everything else that my part time contract position has afforded me this past year. Now, this isn't lazyness. I will get my work done, whether its in the middle of the night or otherwise. I just love that if Daelyn Grace is having a rough morning or night, I won't feel pressured or obligated to be somewhere if there is no specific meeting or scheduled appointment. I also realize that I do not want to work 5 days a week. I'd like a day (at least) to be home with baby girl. Sunday doesn't count because its church and Saturday will most likely default to errands, cleaning...you know- home stuff.

The more I thought this through, the more I found more and more "things I did not want". And they all pointed to the format of a traditional job. The irony of this is, before leaving the 9-5 job to pursue my PhD, I would not have seen myself anyplace else. I was quite content with that type of work schedule UNTIL I took the plunge, left my job and pursued a graduate degree full time. NOW, after the variety of work experiences I've had over the past 4.5 years, I honestly can't see myself going back.

So, long story short--quality decision for planning "whats next" post-PhD is:

finding and creating a work arrangement that is flexible and does not require a traditional 40-hour work week.

What are those things that you just cannot do? The very idea annoys or angers you. It probably means you are mismatched with that particular situation. If so, think it through and identify quality decisions. This works for professional and personal life goals!

Grace, peace, love, and purpose,
Gia

No comments:

Post a Comment