Monday, December 23, 2013

tis the season to be jolly

fa la la la la-la la la laaaaaaaaaa!!!

Yes, it is the Christmas season. I think if you ask 10 people, you are likely to get at least 6 different responses as to what this season means to them.

For me, while I thoroughly enjoy the merriment, gift-giving, family time and food (lots of food)- I also really like to ensure that I continually celebrate Jesus. I know He wasn't born in December, but alas this is the time that we have set aside to say "happy birthday"! So Christmas represents life, hope, salvation, joy....Jesus. Its also synonymous with family, food, and Junkanoo!!!!!!!!!!!!

While, those values and traditions remain relevant for me, this Christmas is different. It was the first time, that as an adult, living on my own, that I've put up my own Christmas tree. weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee can you say excited? side note: it seriously made my day [week, nah season] when Dayton walked in with the tree and surprised me! Of courseDaelyn Grace is still totally oblivious so there isn't so much excitement from her, but just her presence has made it a very special one. She is by far my best. gift. ever!

I didn't buy any gifts for her and probably won't until she's at least 2 years old, when there is a recognition of a "gift"--not that she is by any means short on gifts. The tree already has gifts for her and an extra large stocking filled with baby goodies. However,  I do want is to begin Jones' family traditions. Traditions that keep us (and teach her) to be grounded in our faith; to celebrate life, freedom, hope, joy and salvation. Traditions that go beyond the superficiality of the newest toy. I haven't figured out what that's gonna be yet.

I do plan on asking all her godparents to make a tree decoration that we can use annually when we put up the tree. But as for us...Dayton, Daelyn and I- I'm drawing a blank. Maybe it will come to me on Christmas day? :)

What are your family traditions, whether past or current? If not yours, do you have any suggestions for me?

Merry Christmas from the Jones family. May these days be filled with joy, hope, peace and fulfillment regardless of how (or if) you choose to celebrate. 

As I was drafting this, I realized that it would have been ideal to have a family picture for this week's post but apparently, I'm still new to this family thing and failed on the holiday family picture card thing. sigh. I promise to do better next year). But until then....enjoy the sights and sounds of Junkanoo!



Grace peace love and joy,
Gia

No comments:

Post a Comment