Wednesday, January 22, 2014

looking forward...excitedly

this is the year of the dream chasing!



As I alluded to last time, there are quite a bit of milestones that I am looking forward to this year. As I completed my 5 year plan, I was challenged to create a 10 year plan. While I have yet to complete this, I've begun to hash out the details for this year's goals.

Two of which are about to be launched! Exciting right? yes! I'm looking forward to February which will hopefully launch my soon-to-be National Premarital group program, One Accord; and also launch the beginnings of Timothy Education Project Bahamas.

The irony of this is, all of a sudden, I'm super busy and in greater demand. I can't remember the last time I had or was invited for a speaking engagement. However, in the past 3 days- I've had two invites. Additionally, a writing commitment I made months ago..like maybe almost a year- suddenly has a deadline (in 2 weeks). This isn't to mention, another writing commitment I made in December that is still ongoing. And a new coordinator project that occurs in March. Yes, I am busy. wooptee-doo right? what's the big deal?

Well the big deal is that, while all these "extras" are super awesome...particularly for my own development and exposure (if I am to think about my own benefits)- these can actually be hindrances...dare I say blockers to my goals. 


Luckily for me, I learned the hard way, that I am not superwoman (see here). Also, this writing commitment made in December has been kicking my butt and made me realize that I don't have to 1. quickly answer/respond to an invitation. 2. I don't always have to say yes (no is a viable answer). Instead, what I need to do is consider what I've already committed to (what exactly are the tasks and responsibilities for this new "thing"?). Further, consider how those commitments fit in with my family's schedule...because afterall, I do have a 6 month old that still needs her momma (not to mention a busy husband that needs his wife). And finally consider how those commitments fit into my plan for attaining my goals

So I did something I don't think I've ever done before. I said "no". And guess what? It didn't kill me.  Although, it did hurt because in each instance, it was something that I didn't mind doing. Something for a good purpose---just not necessarily, MY PURPOSE right now. To this end, as I write, I feel free...rather than what I would have felt--which would have been overwhelmed. I will finish what I started (both writing commitments) and I accepted the short-term coordinator project because that occurs March-April and is for a defined time period and it doesn't require any extra on my part. side note: when counting the cost, its important to accurately estimate the time required. Some things sound simple but take a lot -perfect examples are speaking and writing tasks which can be very time/energy consuming when considering the time needed to prepare for it.

So as I leave...are you busy? overwhelmed? resenting the commitments you made? its time to set some clear and healthy boundaries.  Before responding to anything, take some time (even if it requires a follow up phone call) to consider the "cost".

If you are busy doing good...but its not purposeful, then I think its still a waste of your time eh? 


Grace, peace, love and purposeful living,
Gia

No comments:

Post a Comment