Tuesday, January 28, 2014

weekend jet setter part 1

I traveled the past couple days for a professional development workshop. It was a good time all around, as we (myself, Daelyn Grace and my mom-"pseudo-nanny") stayed with my grad-college roommate.  

the "bible" for professionals
in mental health field
The workshop was all day...we literally left the house at 7:30 and didn't return until after 5pm!!! It was productive and very helpful to my own professional goals so no complaints from me!

The goal of workshop was getting the local professionals familiar with the changes in the DSM-5 - the official diagnostic tool for the mental health field.  have the DSM that I was trained in (previous version) but this version (5) is just released and of course costs a pretty penny. I found it on Amazon for a decent price ($120)...the range goes up to +$150 depending on where you purchase. Now I was all prepared to purchase this, but felt that I wasn't supposed to. I'll admit, I fought this- because in reality I hate going someplace unprepared. I dislike being THAT person. you know the one who needs to share because they aren't prepared. Yes, most of it is rooted in pride (I hate to not have my own things) but part of it, is just me liking to be prepared.

Anyhoo, it was clear...I had no peace about purchasing the book. Side note: having that "peace" is how I know its God "talking" to me. So it took me looking at my Amazon cart for literally 4 days before I finally clicked the "delete from cart" button and proceeded to purchase the other items. I even called April (former roommate) to check with her and she adamantly reassured me that coming without the book was "okay".

So fast forward, its the day of the workshop. I find a table that is strategically at the back of the room and doesn't have a ton of people BUT has someone who has a book. I sit and ask to share. welp. she happily welcomes to share with this stranger.

As the day progresses, we get to know each other during the hourly 10-minute breaks and she eventually asks if I had a book or had plans to purchase. I explain that I wanted to but honestly didn't have funds available at that time and would get it some other time. At lunch time, she indicates that from the beginning of the day, she felt God telling her to give me her book but she struggled because I am a stranger and she paid almost $200 for this book. Ultimately, she surrendered to what she felt was God directing her and blessed me. It was an awesome moment. Her obedience. My obedience. Blessings for us both.

The lesson(s) for me here was very simple:
1. God WANTS to take care of me. I soooo wanted to fix the situation, even to the extent of putting the bill on my credit card, but I obediently did not purchase and He provided- at no cost to me. There is no need too small or insignificant. A book. A stupid book that I may or may not use for another year, if ever...He ensure that I received it.
2.  My obedience is linked to someone else. Of course this is the case with DISobedience. I'm not sure what the lesson is for that lady, but I know what I got. And I'm beyond excited that I listened and also that she listened to.

I believe that God interacts with us daily. Sometimes its through others, sometimes its through those "gut feelings" and of course there are other signs and such. But that the heart of our Christian walk (for those of us who are on this walk), is this surrendered heart to not only recognize when it is God "talking" but to also obey. And even in the small things. Who would have thought that purchasing a book was of any importance??!

So as I leave- be encouraged. Look, listen and obey.

Grace, peace, and love,
Gia


No comments:

Post a Comment