Monday, April 15, 2013

seed to the sower

I challenged you a couple weeks ago to pay it forward, I want to challenge you this week, to consider small ways to extend your hand, share your world and give to those less fortunate.

At the very core, I'm a sapp. compassionate. I'm the giver. I really don't care about making money as much as I want to give out money. And I definitely don't think about making money as much as I want to help people. Its not anything I'm sharing to boast about...in fact most people (including some in my inner circle) would consider me (or this philosophy) dumb or stupid and I can understand that.  A decade + some years ago, this desire was fostered in naivety  but now I think I've gotten a better understanding of the world to understand that...well essentially you can't give what you don't have! ;)

However, even in this lesson...I've learned some more. Even though I may not have, or may not be focused on having, the Word of God (which I live by) tells me that:

"10. For God is the one who provides seed for the farmer and then bread to eat. In the same way, he will provide and increase your resources and then produce a great harvest of generosity in you.

11 Yes, you will be enriched in every way so that you can always be generous. And when we take your gifts to those who need them, they will thank God. 12 So two good things will result from this ministry of giving—the needs of the believers in Jerusalem[f] will be met, and they will joyfully express their thanks to God." -2 Corinthians 9:10-12


Can you imagine how this made me smile?? Yes, I will still find practical ways to earn money, but at the end of the day...I know, if I am doing God's work, that He will make provision. He will provide me (the sower), with the seeds I need to plant. Of course, I can't just hold the seeds in my hand, because anyone, even us city folk, know that seeds do not grow in the palm of your hand. You need, at the very least...soil, water, and sunlight. At least I think that's the least of what we need...but you get the point.

This point was brought to life yesterday in Church as the minister sharing the Word talked about our dreams and gifts and our responsibility to not only dream, but to follow up with the dream (confronting our fears, mistrust, etc) and then finally to make the dream a reality...which of course requires practical funding. Without going into more details, she made a profound statement:

If you can hold it in your hand, it's not your harvest- it's your seed!!!

That shook me and reminded me, that what I have, what I earn, what I get excited about....is still merely just seed. I can plant it by blessing others, investing...sharing because when its harvest time, I will know. The barns will be overflowing. Literally.

For those of you who have followed this blog for a while, this is another example of Living on the Third River. woooot wooot. I thank God for reminding me and it is my prayer that I remain humble, pliable, and with an open hand that I may never covet the blessings I receive but share, knowing that I will help others and even through this act, will never be in lack.

What practical ways can you share, give, sow seed? food drive? packing old clothes and giving to homeless shelter? volunteering your time (which is money) to someone?

Grace peace and love,
Gia



2 comments:

  1. Your sharing reminded me on how blessed and what a privilege it is to give rather than to receive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sometimes I think we get caught up and forget that life really is based on pretty simple principles...and you just hit it on the head. It really is more blessed to give than to receive. :) Thanks for stopping by, reading and sharing Kaylus!

      Delete