Monday, April 22, 2013

Inner Beauty

I've had another opportunity to speak, this time it was less formal but the topic was important nonetheless...."Inner beauty".

I was amazed at what came up when I searched the topic, as it seems this topic has been dubbed "the thing you say if you are ugly or to ugly people". (insert blank stare here). I was wow'ed.

In any event, I felt as Christians our definition of inner beauty is wrapped up in the characteristics that make the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23). It was really cool to take it from this perspective because truly, the average person would consider another as "beautiful" if they are loving, kind, patient, good, etc etc etc.


The ah-ha moment for me as I prepared was that LOVE (greek: agape) was listed first and when we look at what it means to agape...well, we see the other characteristics of the fruit of the Spirit.

(1 Corinthians 13:3-7 MSG)
"So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love.
Love never gives up. (faithfulness)
Love cares more for others than for self. (kindness)
Love doesn't want what it doesn't have. (peace)
Love doesn't strut, Doesn't have a swelled head, Doesn't force itself on others, (gentleness)
Isn't always "me first," (self-control/kindness)
Doesn't fly off the handle, Doesn't keep score of the sins of others, (long-suffering)
Doesn't revel when others grovel, Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth, (goodness/kindness)
Puts up with anything, (peace)
Trusts God always, Always looks for the best, Never looks back, (joy)
But keeps going to the end. "

I should note that Biblical joy (greek-chara) differs from happiness and has to do with gladness, contentment, and trust. It is stable unlike happiness which is dependent on circumstances. Joy is deeply rooted in a belief and understanding that God is ___________(you fill in the blank with whatever attribute is applicable for your situation). 

So essentially, my summary was that to be beautiful (inside) means that we agape our  family members, friends, coworkers....i.e. our neighbours!

If one was to ask about you- would you be described as beautiful inside and out?

Grace peace and love,
Gia

No comments:

Post a Comment