Monday, September 17, 2012

Provision

I want to briefly share this past week's experience with provision. I've talked enough about it, that you know I spent a week in Guyana and it really was not a cheap trip. I gave up some things and intentionally took a summer job just to be able to carry my own weight on the trip.

Well before that trip, I had a couple of jobs and life was good. I was living comfortably and creating a lovely savings for myself. What I didn't know was that God was setting me up for this season. So upon my return to Canada, which has really been less than 2 weeks, I've watched a fairly healthy savings (think full time student savings..not full time fancy profession savings :) ) just drizzle down to virtually nothing. It's not only basic needs but now my car is sucking the very life out of my financial existence.  Ironically, I now live 1 hour from school so a healthy, properly functioning car is not only a luxury but a NEED.

I began to get very sad...somehow I had begun to transfer my faith from God as my source, to the savings account as my source. After realizing this mistake, and getting things back in line, things took a completely different perspective. I began to really see how God was not only using my almost-depleted savings to help ensure my needs were covered but also other ways too.

I recall one particular day last week when the mechanic not only found me two slightly used tires for $90 (I was looking at $250 otherwise) but he also offered to fix my muffler ($500 job) on credit with the arrangement that I pay him in installments. Additionally, he went and fixed my hubcap on his own--glued it on so it didn't fall off on one of my journeys back and forth from school to home...

I need ya'll to know that I visit this particular auto shop, maybe once-twice a year and I don't know him from Adam. He does remember me and my husband from bringing the car over the past 3 years but somehow God has touched this man's heart to favour me so that I can be safe.

That same evening, I wanted to go to the grocery store but was tired and opted not to. Came home, checked the account, it was down to $20 so thought..hmm happy I was tired...I would have been sooo embarrassed if the debit transaction was declined. The thought crossed my mind about what would happen for food for the next couple days but I didn't worry about it.

A couple hours later, my roommie comes home with platters of food. SERIOUSLY. Platters. We definitely had enough food to keep us through the weekend and maybe even into early the following week if we creatively combined pieces to make meals.

Did I mention that this was the same day, hubby texted me that the scholarship cheque was ready? Praise Dance. Scholarship cheque means that every 2 weeks, I can get a couple dollars for the gas and food bill. This won't kick in until October but I'm not worried about the days in between. Praise Dance



It is all about where your eyes are focused. I could have easily missed these many instances of favour had I been all consumed with what was in my bank account..but re-fixing my eyes to Jesus who is the one who began and completes this faith journey, I am on....gave me a completely different outcome.

How has/is God provided(ing) in times of "lack"?


Grace peace and love,
Gia

5 comments:

  1. What great examples of God Our Provider.

    Gia, May the Lord allow your testimony to inspire others to believe and rest in Him as the Source.

    May readers be encouraged to recognize when they place more emphases, give focus and emotion to their challenging circumstances rather than look to God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaylus, great examples indeed! :) I'm in agreement with your prayer. It was my hope that as I share, I could inspire others to shift their focus (where need be) and truly rely on the ultimate Source! Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. keep writing. seed in the ground

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome testimony. This is why we have to keep our eyes on Him because as soon as we are distracted by the cares of this life everything becomes overcast and cloudy a grey midst and shadows of doubt. But he calms all our fears and removes every doubt and provides our every need. You just gatta love our God, He is just awesome. Check your FB inbox. Love you and be encouraged Gia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for reading Brenda! You are so right...He is just awesome!

    ReplyDelete