Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Reflections...from Guyana Pt.1

I'm going to begin a mini-series with my reflections and experiences from Guyana. I'm not sure how long it will go for but I'll keep it to Wednesday posts.




Well you know how it all started, if you don't check here. The trip in was smooth but long...more about that here.  But in any event, I spent about 6 days in a small city inside Georgetown, Guyana. I personally met with maybe 15 kids and parents, while the rest of the team interviewed the others. However, by the end of the trip, I had an opportunity to have meaningful conversation with 23 (out of 26 kids). I'm kicking myself that I missed an entire 3 boys but I guess I am only one person. ;)

The reflection for today is on giving. There were a lot of images and conversations that are etched into my brain; one of which is with a young boy-Antonio. He is by definition, an orphan.  He lives with family but his parents are dead and he takes care of himself. He is a good kid but no one wants to (or have money to) take care of him so he's been passed around. He has basically nothing.

He comes to church with us, as we invited all families to join us. Our conversation goes as follows:
Me: What you get there Antonio?
A: Mi dinner and food fa tomoro at school.
Me: What is that? (pointing to the container in his hands)
A: Roti (opens small container) that Aunty M gave me.
 he picks off a piece and begins chewing. He also has a small bag of "Famous Amos" cookies.
Me: That doesn't seem like a lot for dinner
A: shrugs and smiles. Its okay

(picture of a roti)


A couple minutes later I feel a tap on my back

A: Miss?
Me: Yes
A: here (He hands one of his cookies with me)
I stumble to find words to decline..but in barely a whisper, I reply with a soft "thanks" and a smile.
Inside my heart just melts and my eyes begin to sting.

I walk away and enjoy my cookie just shaken at the very core. This kid has nothing. He has maybe two rotis and a bag of cookies and apparently this is his meal for today and tomorrow for school. Why...why would he offer to share his bag of cookies with me?

Didn't I come here to share with him [them]?

I learned about 10 minutes later that he offered a cookie to each of the team members (3 in total). If I recall those bags of cookies probably only have 8 cookies in them...

What do you have to give today? Even in little, I'm sure we can find something to offer someone in the spirit of our Father.  It's just not enough for me [anymore] to offer out of my abundance. If I'm going to live life the way God wants me to, and for His glory...then sometimes my gifts will have to be a sacrifice. I can't help but think of David response in 2 Samuel 24:24

"No, I insist on buying it, for I will not present burnt offerings to the LORD my God that have cost me nothing."


Grace peace and love,
Gia

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Gia a great meditation. Inspired.
    Pastor Cee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pastor Cee, I am honoured to shared and inspire!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome testimony Gia..may God continually bless you for your selfless giving with those young people in Guyana

    ReplyDelete