Tuesday, October 22, 2013

..possibly one step closer?

It is not uncommon for us to get weary, disappointed or even lose hope when we take on large tasks or dreams.

For me, the "task" of this doctoral degree has seemed to be going on forever and still too far away to see the light at the end. However, there have been clear markers that I have set for myself which have allowed me celebratory points. Unfortunately, my last celebratory marker was 6 months ago and it seems the next one may be another 6 months away. Alas, I push through day by day.

Today's post isn't about the grad school journey though..its about Homes of Hope/Mercy House. Most of you who have followed this blog know about this or at least heard of it. If you are clueless, check out this post, this post and even this one!

I think I shared the prezi presentation with a "vision" of what Homes of Hope is to look like. I wasn't sure how or where to get started given the need for both a large chunk of land and multiple buildings but I've been keeping my eyes and ears open. A couple weeks ago, I had the opportunity to share the draft proposal with an interested potential partner. She was a breath of fresh air as her strengths were in finance, with some political ties. She helped me (us) to revisit the plan, make some changes and set some intermediary goals.



She also identified a potential place that could serve as "starter" for the homes. As with life, this "conversation" sparked others and I found myself with two others, viewing a dilapidated and disparaged piece of real estate.

The thing is though...if you look closely, through the rubble, the bee hives, the mold, the missing roof, windows, doors, plaster and lack-luster landscape, you can see- well, let me speak for myself, I can see a perfect plot of land for Homes of Hope.


Yes, that's how I feel.

The irony of the situation is that this particular piece of real estate has been associated with poverty, drugs, murders, prostitution...yes, almost every social ill that is the antithesis of what Homes of Hope represent. And I just love it.

How cool would it be to add to the story of this place of hope...or refuge, that not only the people who come there have been given a second chance of sorts but also the piece of real estate itself has been "redeemed". I get excited just thinking bout it. giddy almost.

Now, the "hard" part. Actually acquiring the property -I'm thinking at bare minimum, we probably need at least $100-150k to buy property from bank and then other financial and human resources to bring the buildings and property to a condition that is not just livable but top of the line (I don't believe in mediocrity).

Nothing for me to worry about. This vision has always been bigger than me, so I've never taken on the stress of expecting that the vision would be fulfilled only by me. 

I'll keep you updated on next steps.  But until then...I challenge you to continue to dream, to pursue passion and to fulfill your God-given purpose as I do the same.

Grace peace and love,
Gia

No comments:

Post a Comment