Monday, July 8, 2013

spot check

According to the Free dictionary, a spot check is "an inspection or investigation that is carried out at random or limited to a few instances."

Its officially the second half of 2013. Seems unbelievable right? This year has flew by. More amazing, I've been pregnant since like last November. Am I the only person to whom this seems crazy? ;)) I should insert that I've got mad respect for womanhood now. This pregnancy thing is not for the weak or lame. I can't imagine being pregnant 50 years ago and having multiple pregnancies without pregnancy pillows, elevators, orthopedic shoes, back support thingies...you get the point.

Anyhoo, I digressed. This post literally began a week ago on the 1st/July as it dawned on me "wowsers, only another 6 months left of 2013". I couldn't help but think about what I had accomplished that was planned and even some other achievements that were unplanned. I also began to think about my goals for the next 6 months...in light of the lessons I've learned this year.

What have I achieved (major):

  • successful dissertation proposal
  • received clearance to begin collecting data (a secondary process AFTER successfully pitching the idea via a proposal meeting)
  • moved into a new house
  • maintained my sanity while juggling internship and a part-time job and life 
  • remaining healthy throughout pregnancy
  • launch the counselling and development ministry at my local church 
  • applied for extension on study permit in Canada
  • cleaned up the vision for Mercy House/Homes of Hope


What I did NOT do (that was planned):

  • collect data for dissertation
  • get Homes of Hope established as a legal organization


What I'm looking forward to in next 6 months:

  • safe and uneventful labor and delivery
  • adjustment to parenthood
  • collect data for dissertation (November & December)
  • secure an internship for January 2014
  • maybe return to work? yea..the jury is still out on whether I will take the benefit of study leave from full time work and maternity leave from school and just enjoy my daughter for the full semester (August-December) or whether I'll return to the part time job about November. However, this will be the ONLY job I'll commit to during this time. No more two-job scenarios moving forward. It really is just too much...at least until I get dissertation fully in swing and that is progressing.

So while I conquered a lot in 6 months, there is still a lot to conquer.... point #2 on the goals for the next 6 months is definitely more than a 6 month goal. :) Although, I am looking forward to some big dreams as it relates to settling into a routine with a newborn. I'm scouring books and praying now...

So what are your goals/plans for the next 6 months? Are you continuing to work on those from earlier in the year? Are you starting over? Reassessing? Its never too late until you are dead. lets get planning...actually lets get working!!!!

Grace peace and love,
Gia


No comments:

Post a Comment