Friday, March 29, 2013

celebration of life

As I somberly thought of what today represents, I was "awakened" to another perspective of death...as a "celebration of life".

And that is exactly what I reflected on in my quiet time this morning. Yes, the death of Christ is monumental.  It is through His dying, that we have life. It was the act of dying that He fulfilled the requirement, becoming the ultimate sacrifice so now we have salvation, grace, and mercy.

But before the death...there was the man.

I thought excitedly about how His life was exemplary. He came, giving up deity, taking on human flesh.  This meant He placed himself in a position to experience the hurts, pains, and even limitations of humanity.  But even more, He came and showed us how to live.

*I think of Cana - where water was turned into wine. A practical act, but yet supernatural (John 2:1-11).

*I think of Capernum - multiple healings of the sick and in particular the paralyzed man (Matt 8:16, Mark 1:32, Luke 4:40, Matthew 9:1-8, Mark 2:1-12, Luke 5:18-26). It was also in Capernum, where one of the first healings of demon possession occurred (Mark 1:21-28, Luke 4:33-37).

*I think of Bethsaida or thereabouts - where more than 5000 people were fed with 5 loaves and 2 fish. Another very practical act, born out of genuine care and compassion for people...but still supernatural (Matthew 14:13-21).

*I think of somewhere in Judea or therabouts- where people brought their children to Jesus, and through His actions and words, He affirmed and validated the life of children (Matthew 19:13-15).

*I think of Jesus, on his many journeys, how He not only affirmed and validated, but empowered so many who were outcast, sick or devalued, for example, the woman with the issue of blood (Luke 13:10-13), Zaccheus (Luke 19:1-10), selection of his disciples.

*and finally, I think of Gethsamene (Mount of Olives).  This place represented His prayer closet. So many times we see where Jesus went here for quiet time and communion with His Father.  But most difficult were the painful last moments where we really catch a glimpse into His humanity. Where He battled with the most difficult decision that was before Him. Whether or not, He would surrender to purpose and walk in God's will, which required that He not only die...but die a death of shame and gruesome pain. And then, even in these last moments, when He could have been so selfish and bitter and depressed...He still extended mercy and authority in the act of restoring the ear of one of the guards which was cut off by a zealous disciple (Luke 22:39-51).

This Good Friday is different. I will still humbly, solemnly remember...as I never want to forget what Jesus did on the Cross...but I also celebrate the life, the very full life that He lived.

The life that gives me an example of how to live:

compassionate, connected to the Father, practical in caring for the daily needs of others, merciful and nonjudgmental, respectful of everyone (child, orphan, widow, the marginalized) and finally, a life that is full of power and authority to walk in the supernatural, not just for show or for my personal gain, but for the sake of my brother and sister who need chains broken, who need to be healed, who needs a glimpse of Jesus.

Grace peace and love,
Gia

No comments:

Post a Comment