Thursday, March 14, 2013

that word again....?

This past weekend, I had the honour of facilitating an all-day workshop.  When I first received the invitation, I will admit, I was overwhelmed. I kept thinking I NEEDED another speaker/professional to split the day or assist because it was unfathomable that I could keep a group of individuals interested for an entire 8 hours. And then, not only interested but facilitate learning too! :gasp:

Anyhoo, I eventually got over myself, prepared and executed the workshop.  However, after the successful workshop, my body just crashed. I felt like some big machine rolled over me. I was confused and honestly a bit freaked out. Yes, I am 4 months pregnant (snuck that in there), but how many pregnant women are on their feet all day for at least 5 days a week without this intensity of almost nubbing pain. Its not like we were running about. There was no activity outside of me walking the room as I engaged the 15 or so attendees throughout the day.

So why did I feel like I ran a marathon or at the very least walked a marathon?

I talked to Doc about it on Monday and she confirmed that some of that is expected, but also due to some pre-existing conditions that this pain may be exacerbated with certain activities. This meant one thing- my body dictates the rules of how/when and how much of an activity I can take. To minimize the chance I create a problem, hydration and breaks are now not just suggested but required. :insert deep sigh here:  Yes, I know these things but my goodness, is it really that serious? a resounding yes it is!

As I shared my struggle with these new found limitations with a friend, I realized that this is a part of life. We change positions. We change conditions. With these changes come adaptations. And as much as I'd like to think- I am not superwoman. Yes, I can continue to push but with the awareness that I am still human and subject to some limitations...As I was talking and reflecting, it then hit me again...that word - REST.

my response: But I've had this lesson before Lord! For those of you who regularly follow this blog, you would have shared my journey in being called to REST in a number of different situations. I don't recall any being related to my physical health, but then again, I didn't have a growing human being inside of me either (not that this is the only time we should have healthy times of rest and rejuvenation).

Well, all is well that ends well.  With that said, my goal is to ensure that I do everything I should to ensure that this story ends with a bouncing, chubby and healthy baby. Even if it means I (gasp) slow down a teensy bit!

side note: This post is delayed because its been super crazy and since something needed to give, this ended up being the one to delay...

No comments:

Post a Comment