Monday, February 11, 2013

Ari and the gate (Lessons from Ari)

So....we've been trying to put more structure in the Jones' house. The first of which is reminding Ari that he is a dog and not a small human.  This required getting a baby gate and putting it up to keep him from certain parts of the house.

I'll be honest, the true incentive was to keep him from  pee'ing on our bedroom carpet again. He was sick a couple weeks ago and had some accidents around the house. The bedroom was the only place, that was carpeted, where he had an accident and being a dog,  the carpet is now "marked", making him feel more inclined to revisit. I've tried vinegar and baking soda but if you have any suggestions- do share them! :/

Anyway, I digress. I was in the room sorting laundry and looked out to see the sad face behind the gate.  (black blob is him). The funny thing is, the gate has been up for a week or two but Ari has never challenged it. He has wimpered, cried, sat with "sad face" but never once pushed on it to see if it would give way. Ironically, most times the gate isn't secure. A simple push with his 14 pounds and most likely it will give way.

It got me thinking...how many times have I (we) looked at what is seemingly a "barrier" and just sat behind it. I'm not talking about being rebellious, because rules have a valid place in society. I'm talking about things that could be ours, maybe should be ours...but we settle to accept less. Even if we don't aggressively take down gates, sometimes a simple bit of asking questions or doing research would reveal that what seems to be a secure gate, is really only an appearance and whatever is behind the "gate" is accessible to whoever would challenge it.

Note again: I'm not suggesting rebellion, but more of critical assessment of the information and status quo's that we are fed. Yes, ignorance is bliss..but the ignorant are usually poor, unfulfilled and taken advantage of. I would take rich, fulfilled and empowered over blissful living anyday!

The biggest "gate" right now for me is home ownership. There are tons of "rules"...but I can't help wonder, if I get creative, if I ask questions differently, if I challenge the status quo- will I find another means to get the home that I want without having to go through the long drawn out process that I've been fed to believe is standard or required?

Things that make you go hmmmm....

Grace peace and love,
Gia

No comments:

Post a Comment