Tuesday, June 26, 2012

A Father's love-part 2


This story began yesterday, so you will need to read that to follow this. 

  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...So we are both inside the store, and we are deliberating over the types, grades and brands of oil available to us; we pick one up and go to the counter. You should know that there isn’t much grounded rationale that went into the selection of the oil other than it wasn’t the lowest grade (which I had offered off the top of my head previously). We are at the counter and the clerk, a seemingly middle aged white guy with nothing memorable except a simple chain/necklace with a cross around his neck.  He kindly suggests that we look at other brands that may be less expensive and walks us back over to the section and helps us pick one out. We thank him and pay for our items. Of course there is light conversation but nothing exciting...yet.

I walk out the store, with a funnel and poured the oil in the engine. At that moment, it dawns on me, if the engine was empty, then it will need way more than just 1 quart of oil. In the past, when changing oil, I usually had to buy at least 7-8 quarts of oil for my V-6 engine vehicle. Side note: shout out to my daddy-Keith for requiring that I became familiar with under-the-hood of a car and that I knew how to do basic car maintenance. This was one of his conditions for driving alone. I hated that “rule” but have been grateful for it as my first car was a true clunker!

It was at this point I went back inside and found that the clerk was making the same recommendation to my friend- we needed at least 2-3 quarts.  Without going into every detail, let me just say, that we suddenly had a personal helper! The clerk would leave his store and register unattended to monitor the process, check the oil and make further recommendations. After about 15 minutes he suggests we turn the car on, pull to the side and let it idle for the oil to work its way through the engine. Another surprise, 5 minutes later, he walks to where we were parked (leaving store and register unattended AGAIN) to come and listen to the car and give us further instructions. Another 10 minutes later, he comes out with a bottle of “treatment” which he purchased with his own money, pours it in the engine and then we just chat for a bit while the car did its thing.

What I missed while I was pouring the first quart of oil was that, apparently we reminded him of his daughter, who apparently is living alone in Florida. He was moved to help us, as he thought about his inability to help his own daughter should she be stuck in a similar situation. It was a father’s love that brought an aloof stranger to somewhat abandon his own work responsibilities and provide support and practical assistance to two young women whom he never met before.  


My eyes got cloudy as he shared at another point about his daughter and I thought of my own earthly fathers (and mother), who, if they knew,  that I was stranded in the middle of nowhere (literally), in the middle of the night, more than 3hrs away from “home”, with less than $10 cash on me, would be very worried. I then thought of my heavenly Father, who loves me so much that He allowed us to stop at this particular exit, with Mr. Bill Joseph George, his angel for this time. My heavenly Father who has set his angels to encamp about me so that I would be safe. My heavenly Father who may seem really far away and removed from my life, but is right there...always. My heavenly Father who loves me even more than Bill loved his daughter...My heavenly Father who loves me even more than my own dads love me. My heavenly Father, whose love is eternal, unconditional and abounding toward me.

Needless to say, Bill saw us “off” with a number of instructions and contact information for any number of worse case scenarios. I saw his heart in his eyes as he said good bye and I will always remember the very kind gentleman who “adopted” us, treated us as he would his daughter and set us off to arrive home safely. Yes, the trip ended up taking about an hour longer than planned; we arrived in Windsor at about 3 or 4am (sleep deprived) but we were safe, no hiccups or stops or problems along the way. The car on the other hand, is still waiting for a diagnosis, and I am hoping it is nothing too costly, but even if it is, I know there is no need to worry; our heavenly Father will bring another angel to “provide”.


Grace, peace and love
Gia

No comments:

Post a Comment